Tasting Notes for Los Danzantes Reposado Mezcal
Aroma: Subtle and elegant aroma with smoky, earthen accents and touches of vanilla and maple syrup.
Taste: Faintly sweet flavours which come and go, such as coconut and vanilla along with light smoke and nutty herbal notes.
Finish: Herbal, leather and sweet vanilla with a touch of light smoke.
Los Danzantes have taken their wonderful joven mezcal, made from 100% agave Espadin, and aged it for 9 months in American white oak barrels (70%) and French white oak casks (30%), which are used exclusively by the distillery. The resulting reposado mezcal takes the great flavours of the joven and smooths off some of the sharp edges while adding some light vanilla from the time spent in oak. Easily one of the most well balanced and smoothest around. Highly recommended for people who like to sip on good mezcal, as that is most certainly what this is.
In 1997, when identical twins Jaimé and Gustavo Muñoz wanted Mezcal for their five restaurants, including the well-known Los Danzantes in the city of Oaxaca, they purchased a small distillery housed in a traditional mud brick building. Working with Héctor Vázquez Abarca as both Master Distiller and production manager, and Karina Abad Rojas, a trained lab chemist, the team kickstarted the Mezcal renaissance and continue to push the limits of how mezcal is perceived and drank.
The team exclusively uses agave Espadín for their Mezcal production and once the agave are harvested (by hand), they are delivered to the distillery where they are cut, one by one, into smaller pieces and roasted in a below-ground fire pit, using mesquite for fuel. After roasting for three days, the agaves are crushed and juiced using a traditional stone mill pulled by a horse (called Sansón and who also loves to eat maguey apparently ), and then the milled solids and juice are transferred to open-top 300-gallon pine fermentation vats. Fermented with natural yeast for one to two weeks, the juices and solids are then double distilled in direct gas fired copper pot stills with the second distillation in a 300 litre Portuguese made copper pot still.
It takes 14 pounds of agave to craft 1 bottle of mezcal and only 100 litres a day are produced, that’s only 3000 litres per year. The Blanco is released almost immediately, while the Reposado is aged in French Nevers oak casks for 9-12 months, and the very limited Añejo for 18-24 months. At Los Danzantes, they aren't really fans of the aging since it makes the spirit taste too similar to any other aged spirit where the wood character can dominate, but they acknowledge it's a good way to introduce mezcal to new drinkers so we can expect to see more aged expressions in future.
Producer Los Danzantes Distillery Style 100% Espadín Reposado Mezcal Age A total of 9 months with 70% of the time spent in American white oak barrels and the remaining 30% in French white oak casks. Volume 75cl ABV 43%