Tasting Notes for Don Amado Rustico Mezcal
Aroma: The minero clay-pot still is quite prevalent on the nose with aromatics leaning towards ash, crushed walnuts, roasted corn, and savory spices.
Taste: A bright, citrus Espadín maguey palate is well balanced against notes of caramel, butterscotch and fresh herbs.
The flagship expression of the Real de Minas Distillery, Don Amado Rústico is made using the historic method of slowly roasting fully-mature Espadín maguey hearts on firewood embers, before natural fermentation with airborne yeast and a slow double-distillation in ceramic pot stills.
- Master Distiller: Germán Bonifacio Arellanes.
- Approx. 26 Bx Sugars from Angustofolia Haw Espadín maguey grown at 4,800' in municipio of Sta. Catarina Minas, Oaxaca.
- Halved & quartered (cogollo removed) agave earthen roasted for four days using mix of guamúchil and mesquite wood.
- Cooked maguey macerated with proprietary blade spindle destrozadora shredder.
- Fermented together with bagaso in 1,400L pine wood vats using airborne yeast strains.
- Double distilled in burner heated ceramic pot stills to approx. 53% ABV and reduced with triple distilled demineralized water.
- No aging, bottled at 47% ABV.
In the highlands of southern Mexico, the renowned Arellanes family has been crafting one of the region's most celebrated mezcals since the late 1700s. Eleven generations of continual mezcal distillation with a legendary commitment to craftsmanship and experimentation have culminated in a spirit that is simultaneously complex and approachable. Don Amado is made from earthen roasted maguey hearts which are, after crushing, fermented together with their piña fibers for a rich maguey character. The mash is then double distilled in small traditional ceramic clay pots. Aged varieties are matured in American oak casks previously used for barreling Pedro Domecq brandy.
Producer Don Amado Rustico is made in Santa Catarina Minas, Oaxaca by mezcalero Germán Bonifacio Arellanes. The same distillery also produces Mina Real Mezcal. Style 100% Angustofolia Haw Espadín maguey Volume 75cl ABV 47% (may vary slightly per batch)